Volunteers are the lifeblood of most nonprofit organizations. And board members are a special type of volunteer, helping to guide the direction of a nonprofit, promote the organization in the community, and ensure that the nonprofit's mission is fulfilled. Learning how best to manage the board and other volunteers is a critical part of nonprofit management. This course covers the fundamentals of board and volunteer development as well as recruiting, effective communication, and retention.
- Explain the reasons why people volunteer and how nonprofits can make volunteer programs more successful
- Describe the responsibilities of the nonprofit board
- Discuss different models for organizing a nonprofit board
- Describe the differences between a nonprofit board and a for-profit board
- Explain different approaches for recruiting and filling a nonprofit board
- Discuss the pros and cons of large versus small boards
- Describe why board evaluations are useful
- Explain why nonprofit boards form committees
- Discuss typical nonprofit board and staff interactions
- Describe how nonprofits can develop and maintain a strong volunteer base
- Badge and credit-awarding
- Games & Flashcards
- Video content
- Real-world case studies
- Audio-enabled in app
You may request a refund up to 5 days from the purchase date. The registration fee will only be refunded if less than 10% of the course has been completed. Completion percentage can be viewed on the Course Progress page from within the course.
This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.